Why fitness, Why martial arts?

Often, I find myself questioning my actions.I do this in an effort to explore and develop my personal philosophy and outlook on life. I worry that pursuing fitness and martial arts will end up taking too much of my time, or that I won't have enough time to go to the gym, or go to a MMA class. However, it recently occurred to me, what's the point of even pursuing fitness or martial arts?

Why should I bother writing this blog?

Why didn't I just focus on making money all summer?

Is fitness THAT important to me?

I really wish there was a simple answer to these issues. But at this point in my life this is the best I can give:

I prioritize experience over everything, we never stop learning, and every experience serves to teach us something, either about ourselves and/or the world around us. And it is with my mind and body that I am able to experience everything. The condition of my mind and body affect how I perceive and experience the world around me.

 For example, When i'm drunk, I can have a good time, but if I overdo it, I end up having a pretty much unable to remember much the next day. In the face of my beliefs, this is a massive waste of my time. To just have fun but not gain anything from it (doesn't stop me from doing it, though), is there really any point to it?

 My point is this: Because I experience the world through my mind and body I simply owe it to myself to be in tip top shape to have the best experiences possible. This can sometimes be an issue if I have to choose between some much needed time at the gym or going out with my friends. The simple way I overcome that conflict is to both just have my priorities in check and also try to have a steady routine in place (or I do whatever I want and suffer later).

I really wish I could pinpoint where my love of martial arts began. It could've been all of the movies I or the cartoons. I think it's the sheer curiosity of what i'm capable of that keeps me coming back to martial arts. I love the idea of just moving in a certain way can cause a man twice my size to flip over my hip.

I study Jeet Kune Do, and I love the way it teaches self defence. While regular martial arts simply teach you how to do a certain kick,  Jeet Kune Do teaches you the reasoning behind the kick, what it's meant to do. And once you know the reasoning behind the kick, you can then think, "That's great but, it'd be more effective if I tilt my hips this way..."  by adding your own twist to the kick, you're no longer studying Jeet Kune Do, but you are instead interpreting it. It was once I started Jeet Kune Do that I started on the road to becoming a martial artist.

Committing myself to fitness and martial arts contributes greatly to my self-development. When working out, I try to learn the answer to a simple question: "Am I the kind of man that pushes past his limits?"


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts