Getting back into it!

Spent one year working out with no specific goal in mind, and spent this year just all-round slacking. Time to get focused.

Lifestyle:
More than a few unplanned nights have taken their toll on my willpower. There’s always the temptation of pushing back training another day to when i'm healthier and/or when i feel more up to it. My first proper workout after was very grueling. After discussing my goals with a PT, we decided that circuit training is the best course of action for my goals.
So here I am, starting this fitness journey with completely new goals and a new training program. Keeping the routine of frequent exercise shouldn’t be an issue…having the willpower to resist constantly going out, binge eating/drinking…that’s another level of difficult. (I had originally decided to quit complaining, but then opted to start this damn blog instead.). I find often that my ego is my biggest obstacle when it comes to my training. The knowledge of the level I used to be is more detrimental than motivational so far.

Strength gains:
While in theory, I knew it was important to get rid of all the “Used to be” attitudes, and focus on the level that I’m currently at. In practice however, there’s nothing more difficult – for me, at least – than for me to push all the “Used to be” thoughts out of my head and just get into the workout and go at it 100%.  Working with my personal trainer we worked to design two basic circuits to build me up.  On the bright side my year of half-assed working out has given me a decent base to work up from.


Skill gains:                     
MMA killed me. I've done a wide variety of martial arts (VERY shallowly) and i've never had a workout that intense. Again, my “Used to be” attitude got the better of me, resulting in me literally apologising for every poorly executed kick or punch. I find the hardest part of trying so many different martial arts is that it makes me hesitate a lot more when doing a kick or a punch. Bruce Lee described this issue as the instance of knowledge conflicting with instinct. I reckon for me, at least, I need to do my best to  just listen to the instructor, rather on relying too heavily on my experience. I chose the beginners class for a reason and as such, should act and practise like a beginner. 

Comments

Popular Posts